June 09, 2014
Interesting Things on the Internet: June 9th Edition
- Nobody Goes to Art School to Make Money, so Fuck Off. "In other words, we went to this art school because we too are interested in programming and making, but disagree with the rest of what we see in the tech industry now."
- The Good, the Normal and the Everyday. Thought-provoking ruminations on craft, democratized design and making.
- Reality Distortion Field. There are no short cuts, just enjoy the work and get on with it.
- Designing the Good Life: The Ethics of User Experience Design. Lots to chew on here, about what work you undertake. Not just applicable to designers.
- Mike Monteiro - How Designers Destroyed the World. And once you've read the slides in the previous link, go watch this.
- Adam Phillips, The Art of Nonfiction No. 7. "The need not to know yourself. Symptoms are forms of self-knowledge. When you think, I’m agoraphobic, I’m a shy person, whatever it may be, these are forms of self-knowledge. What psychoanalysis, at its best, does is cure you of your self-knowledge." (there are more bits I could quote, but that was the one that drew me in initially)
This blog post is on the personal blog of Adrian McEwen. If you want to explore the site a bit further, it might be worth having a look at the most recent entries or look through the archives or categories over on the left.
If you want to hire my company to help you with the Internet of Things then get in touch. If you want to learn more about the Internet of Things, then buy my book Designing the Internet of Things (amazon.co.uk amazon.com).