February 11, 2011
A Snapshot of the NW Tech Scene
As I was pulling together a list of techie events in the NW for a friend I realised it might be of use to share it with the wider world. So, undoubtedly incomplete, but here's something of a snapshot of the regular tech meetings and gatherings in the Liverpool-Manchester area. Feel free to add any I've missed in the comments section... (or email me if comments aren't working for you - there's a weird bug that I've not tracked down yet that means not all comments work. Sorry)
- Ignite Liverpool - roughly quarterly events with a series of short, fast-paced talks on all sorts of topics.
- Geekup Liverpool - a gathering for software geeks on the last Tuesday of the month, sometimes with talks
- DoES Liverpool (formerly known as Liverpool Hackspace) who run Maker Night - gatherings for anyone interested in hardware hacking, electronics, Arduino, laser-cutting, 3D-printing, etc. on the
thirdsecond (from May 2011) Wednesday of each month
- Social Media Cafe Liverpool - monthly events for anyone interested in "social media" (i.e. Twitter, blogging, Facebook, etc.)
- Liverpool Linux Users Group - first Wednesday of the month, a gathering for people interested in Linux, often with a talk.
- Cathedral Valley - semi-regular lunchtime gatherings with a techie/entrepreneurial leaning, based loosely in the "valley" between the two cathedrals
And two I haven't made it along to yet (mostly because there are too many listed above to fit in even more :-)
I haven't made it over to Chester to any of these meetings, but know quite a few people who regularly attend:
Daresbury Business Breakfast is an always-packed monthly event for tech business-people to get together for a chat over free coffee and bacon baps.
With so much going on in Liverpool I don't make it over to Manchester all that often, but do from time to time. Mostly to attend the language-specific groups that tend to gravitate to Manchester as it gives them a bigger catchment area (or at least doesn't have a catchment area incorporating a chunk of the Irish Sea...)
- Geekup Manchester - monthly gathering of software geeks
- NW Ruby Users Group - monthly meeting for Ruby fans, usually with a talk although it's often not about Ruby :-)
- Techcelerate - regular events focused more on the business end of tech
- Social Media Cafe Manchester monthly gathering for those interested in "social media"
And ones I've not attended...
- HacMan - weekly meetings of hardware hackers
- PHPNW - group for PHP users, in the NW...
- Drupal NW User Group
- Python group
- Manchester Free Software
And finally, NW England Perl Mongers - a language-specific group which admirably roams around the NW rather than expecting its members to come to it.
This blog post is on the personal blog of Adrian McEwen. If you want to hire my company to help you with the Internet of Things then get in touch. If you want to learn more about the Internet of Things, my book Designing the Internet of Things is available to pre-order (amazon.co.uk amazon.com), or if you just want a beautiful IoT device, I'm CTO of Good Night Lamp.